La Fuerza del Lobo es la Manada
Because of you, 2014 was an exciting year for the Centro de conservación de lobos and we are humbled by the incredible support from our pack – supporters like you. Some highlights include:
- Continued Success: onsite and offsite education programs and a special events reached over 35,000 people,
- Launched the Northeast Wolf Coalition: A new initiative that explores the vision of wolf recovery in the Northeast,
- Ambassador Wolf Pup Nikai: another powerful presence in the fight to preserve wolves’ rightful place in the environment,
- Call of the Wild: released captive-born critically endangered red wolf M1804 to his ancestral home on the wild landscape,
- Challenged the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS) in collaboration with Earthjustice, Defenders of Wildlife and others to secure the future for endangered Mexican gray wolves,
- #LoboWeek: Our second annual educational movement with global participation in honor the Mexican gray wolf’s return to the wild,
- Family Walk for Wolves: our second annual event that gave hundreds of local supporters an opportunity to celebrate the wildlife and wild lands of the Empire State,
- Top-Rated: winning the prestigious “2014 Top-Rated Award” from GreatNonprofits, the leading provider of user reviews about nonprofit organizations,
- Robust Support on Social Media: WCC is approaching TWO MILLION supporters on Facebook – expanding our educational reach far beyond the boundaries of our facility.
None of this would have been possible without your support. So as we close 2014, we thank you for this success and rededicate ourselves to our mission. Because many challenges remain…
Wolves continue to be subjected to aggressive hunting and trapping in states where their federal protections have been lifted. Wild Mexican wolves and red wolves face serious recovery challenges that will affect their future success. Finally, if USFWS’ proposed national delisting rule is passed, it will threaten the recovery of recolonizing wolves that are just beginning to make a comeback in parts of their historic range.
Pero no nos rendiremos. El CMI ve un mundo donde poblaciones vibrantes de lobos vagan por paisajes salvajes en todo el continente; donde ninguna especie de lobo se encoge al borde de la extinción; y donde cada niño aprenda y respete a estas criaturas esenciales.
As a pack, we will make a difference.
See you in 2015!